Saturday, October 30, 2021

Funny Name: No, the Treats Don't Taste You Back Edition

Our Halloween special treat for the year: Beef Tongue Ginger Cookies from Amish Dutch Cookbook (Ruth Redcay, 1971). When I found this recipe, I was excited to find a new variation on the genre of meat-spiked desserts. I never knew any used cows' tongues!

As a vegetarian, I am relieved, but as a weird recipe lover, I am a little disappointed to know that the recipe title refers only to the cookies' shape. No actual cow tongues are harmed in the making of the cookies. They only look creepy.


2 comments:

  1. One measly teaspoon of ginger! There are more cloves in these cookies than ginger. You could easily call them beef tongue salt cookies since there is the same amount of salt as ginger in these.

    ReplyDelete