Saturday, October 15, 2022

Funny Name: Not Halloween Edition

I am kind of embarrassed admitting how long I tried to figure out the Halloween connection for this recipe from Our Favorite Recipes (publications classes at Miller High School in Hemlock, Ohio, ca. late 1970s).

What makes this Gooly Cake? Did they mean Ghoulie Cake in the days before spell check? How is a Duncan Hines Cake mix topped with a cheesecake-like layer related to malevolent supernatural Halloween-y forces?

And then I finally realized that I'm an idiot and this is probably just a typo for gooey cake. Even Google knows that. Not that I needed a Google search to help figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. They left out the part where you put the eyeball sprinkles over the top? I could see someone making this for a Halloween potluck. Now I'm trying to think of a way to add pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people just add a can of pumpkin to cake mix instead of the oil and egg. (Of course, you don't really taste the pumpkin, but it's there.)

      Delete